This exhibition is temporarily closed.
People have been living and working in the Shilstone landscape for thousands of years. Through archaeological excavation and historical research, our Resident Archaeologists have been able to reveal much of this story. Our special exhibition is your chance to explore Shilstone’s past from prehistory to the present day, and in particular considers:
- the evidence from the Neolithic and Bronze Age periods
- the Iron Age farmstead
- the significance of Shilstone’s inclusion in the Domesday Book
- the evolution of the medieval house
- the 17th century Italianate water theatre & water gardens
- the people responsible for Shilstone’s development
- the Georgian rebuild, and its consequences
- the 21st century restoration by the Fenwick family.
Stay in the loop!
Join the DRA Friends to receive the latest news from the archive as well as details of our events and exhibitions by email.
Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your list of contacts to prevent our messages being banished to your Spam folder.
Where we are
Devon Rural Archive, Shilstone, Modbury, Devon, PL21 0TW
Call us: 01548 830832
Email us: email@example.com